St Ives-a new millennium4/10/023:45 pmPage 34Left: Bill MahoodPhoto: Stuart Littlewood/Pentax MXBill has been the minister at the Free Church since 1995. He hails from Ireland and his fatherwas a professional photographer. He came to St Ives from Westminster College, Cambridge,and prior to that ministered in Rugby.From 2000 to 2001 he was appointed Moderator of the General Assembly of the UnitedReformed Church and in that capacity travelled extensively throughout Europe - and Korea,where 20% of the population are members of the Presbyterian Church, a far greaterproportion than here at home.The present Free Church was opened in 1864, but in 1980 was cleverly converted, with anextra floor at gallery level. It was one of the first to be altered in this way and has been widelyimitated. The church now provides a base for about 30 community groups.right: Rev David MoorePhoto: Stuart Littlewood/Ricoh XR7‘Father David’ was vicar of St Ives parish church of All Saints from 1983 to hisretirement in 2000. He was born in Yorkshire and moved to St Ives from Nuneaton inWarwickshire. He is married to Diane and has five grown-up children.The earliest existing parts of All Saints Church date from the 12th century and awindow in the south aisle is 14th century. The spire has been rebuilt several times andthe interior was altered in the 1890s when the screen and organ were added. The finerood screen is the work of Sir Ninian Comper.In 1918 Lt Wastell, taking off from Hemingford Meadow, flew his De Havilland DH6aircraft straight into the spire causing extensive damage. The spire was eventuallyrebuilt in 1924.Page 34
It seems that your browser's pop-up blocker has prevented us from opening a new window/tab. Please click the button below to open the link manually.