LOCAL INTERESTThere has been a barracks on the sitewhere Peninsula Barracks now standssince 1769. The buildings we now seeoriginate from 1894 when a fire destroyedmuch of the old King’s House. While itwas rebuilt, The Rifle Depot was closed,and the King’s Royal Rifle Corps and RifleBrigade (both antecedent regiments ofThe Rifles) relocated to Gosport. Thebarracks reopened in 1904. The barrackswas sold in 1994 with many buildingsbecoming private residences and theparade square landscaped with gardensand fountains. The remaining buildingsnow hold The Regimental Headquartersof The Rifles along with Winchester’sMilitary Quarter.The Light Division Chapel and Garden ofRemembrance can be found in Sir JohnMoore Barracks, Army Training RegimentWinchester.Winchester’s Military Quarter is agrouping of six regimental museums andHome/Regimental Headquarters situatedwithin yards of each other on a historicsite, close to the city centre. Both TheRifles and Royal Green Jackets Museumsare to be found here.Winchester College CCF is affiliated toThe Rifles.In 1904 Green Jacket Close was openedin St Cross to provide homes for disabledRiflemen returning from the Crimean War.It is now run by The Rifles BenevolentTrust and has 21 housing units which areavailable on application to all membersof the Serving, Forming and AntecedentRegiments of The Rifles.The Rifles has the freedom of Winchesterand has exercised this on many paradesmarching at a pace of 140 a minute fromthe Guildhall up the hill to PeninsulaBarracks, behind The Band and Buglesof The Rifles that are based in WorthyDown.There is a monthly ‘Turning of the Pages’service in Winchester Cathedral wherethe fallen from the Rifle Brigade and theKing's Royal Rifle Corps are remembered.The Green Jackets Ground St Crossis a cricket ground used by St CrossSymondians Cricket Club. The groundwas first leased to the Rifle Brigadeand since 1885 it has been leased tothe Green Jackets Club. The ground iscurrently owned by the trustees of thenearby ancient Hospital of St Cross.A bronze statue of General Sir JohnMoore, the founding father of TheRifles, watches over all those that enterthe barracks named after him on theHarestock Road.CONTACT USREGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS THE RIFLESPeninsula Barracks, Romsey Road,WINCHESTER, SO23 8TSrhq@the-rifles.co.uk | 01962 828 527REGIONAL OFFICES:North (Pontefract)yorkshire@the-rifles.co.uk01977 703 181Midlands (Shrewsbury)shrewsbury@the-rifles.co.uk01743 842 030Londonlondon@the-rifles.co.uk0207 414 5441South (Winchester)salisbury@the-rifles.co.uk01962 828 501West (Taunton)taunton@the-rifles.co.uk01823 333 434South West (Exeter)exeter@the-rifles.co.uk01392 492 435JOIN US:Regular & Reserve Officerarmyjobs@the-rifles.co.ukRegular & Reserve Soldier enquiry@the-rifles.co.ukARMY CADET FORCEwww.armycadets.comTHE RIFLEMAN'S ASSOCIATION:SWIFT - www.theriflesnetwork.co.ukswift@the-rifles.co.ukFORMING & ANTECEDENT REGIMENTALASSOCIATION BRANCHES:Winchester & District Branch, Sir JohnMoore BarracksMUSEUMS:The Rifles Regimental Museum,Winchesterwww.riflesmuseum.co.ukThe Royal Green Jackets Museum,Winchesterwww.rgjmuseum.co.uk
It seems that your browser's pop-up blocker has prevented us from opening a new window/tab. Please click the button below to open the link manually.